Diversionary Theater launches new Open Mic, Storytelling Slam night at Clark Cabaret & Bar
The Diversionary Theatre’s new cabaret space will feature an open mic night, storytelling slam and more in November.
The Clark Cabaret & Bar will also offer a series of Monday events designed to support members of San Diego’s theater community, as well as several one-night-only events for the month.
Coming soon to the University Heights-based space:
- The Open Mic party starts on Thursday.
- The San Diego Black LGBTQ Coalition is screening a documentary series about the local Black Queer and Trans experience on November 11, followed by an after party.
- Mariam T’s Comedy Cabernet arrives November 12, featuring drag, improv and stand-up comedy with “San Diego’s craziest drag queen,” Mariam T.
- The monthly movie night, Queer Iconic Film Series, presents “The Manifest of Mallery” on November 13 – a short documentary about the life of a trans woman navigating the complexities of growing up in the Deep South, with the film’s director, Victor Llang Alexio and Mallery join in for a Q&A after the movie.
- The new storytelling slam, called Open Flame, begins November 19.
- The Janice Edwards Trio returns on November 26.
Regular events at the cabaret include Live Music Wednesdays, followed by Karaoke, Funday Sunday on the second and fourth Sundays of each month, and Queer Poetry Night on the last Monday of the month.
The Clark Cabaret & Bar is a new space at the Diversionary Theater that has hosted the community six nights a week in a piano bar atmosphere since opening in fall 2021. Local favorites perform as well as emerging artists and local music companies. theater.
The bar is open Wednesday to Monday from 5:00 p.m. to closing, with happy hour every day from opening to 6:30 p.m.