Israeli Defense Minister says country is ready to strike Iran
A senior Israeli official said his country was prepared to strike Iran in retaliation for a recent attack on an Israeli-owned tanker.
Defense Minister Benny Gantz replied ‘Yes’ to the Israeli’s question news site Ynet News Thursday whether the Israel Defense Forces were ready to take military action against Iran.
“Iran seeks to challenge Israel on multiple fronts, as such is strengthening its forces in Lebanon and Gaza, deploying militias in Syria and Iraq, and maintaining its supporters in Yemen. Iran is a global problem. and regional and an Israeli challenge, “he added. He also said that Iran is a global threat, not just a threat to Israel.
A so-called Suicide drone hit the Mercer Street tanker bridge in the northern Arabian Sea last week, killing the captain and a crew member – a British national and a Romanian national. Israel, the United States and the United Kingdom claimed that Iran carried out the attack, a charge denied by Tehran.
Friday, the US Central Command revealed evidence pointing to the conclusion that Iran was behind the attack, as the shrapnel found on the ship was “almost identical” to the shrapnel found in other Iranian attack drones known. The evidence prompted G-7 leaders to condemn the strike, saying “all the evidence points clearly to Iran.”
When contacted for comment, a spokesperson for the US State Department said, “We have seen the comments from Defense Minister Gantz. The representative also told the Washington Examiner that the United States strongly condemns the attack on Mercer Street and supports the United Kingdom’s call for the action to be condemned by the United Nations Defense Council.
The spokesperson said the United States takes the security of Israel and other allies “very seriously” and that the United States “is working closely with our allies and partners to consider our next steps and consult governments in the region and beyond on an appropriate response ”.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh called Iran’s alleged bombing “baseless”.
“This is not the first time that the Zionist regime occupying Jerusalem has brought such futile accusations against the Islamic Republic of Iran. Wherever this regime has gone, it has taken instability, terror and violence with it, ”Khatibzadeh replied.
“He who sows the wind will reap the whirlwind,” he warned.
The Mercer Street attack is the latest episode in a long “shadow war” at sea between Israel and Iran, part of Israel’s recent strategy dubbed the “Interwar Campaign”. in which he seeks to disrupt Iranian accumulation by “threatening to neutralize efforts below the threshold of war”, according to Gadi Eisenkot, retired Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff.
After US sanctions against the Iranian Central Bank in 2018 restricted Tehran’s ability to fund its Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps and proxy militia Hezbollah, the Iranians turned to smuggling oil into Syria as alternative way to raise funds, according to analyst Matthew Levitt, writing for the Washington Institute. This vast smuggling operation is based on an “illicit maritime network”, led by Hezbollah and the IRGC. Before his death in early 2020, the Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani was the principal director of this network.
Since 2018, Israel has carried out dozens of attacks on Iranian ships in the Red Sea and the Eastern Mediterranean, costing the Iranian regime billions of dollars, according to analyst Farzin Nadimi of the Washington Institute. reported. Iran has responded similarly, often with “tit for tat” retaliation against Israeli ships.
However, these attacks were all low in intensity, resulting in no deaths and significant damage to the targeted ships.
If Iran is proven to be behind the attack on Mercer Street, it would be the first deadly attack in the Israeli-Iranian phantom naval war in recent years, a major escalation.
Washington Examiner Videos
Original author: Brady knox
Original location: Israeli Defense Minister says country is ready to strike Iran